Monday, April 2, 2012

Mashed Potato Timbales

Let me just start by saying that I'm really glad I brought our mini muffin tins along to Florida. I've used them so many times, for actual muffins and a number of non-muffin recipes, and have found that anything in a mini-muffin shape is 1) the perfect size and 2) so much more fun to eat (despite being a little bit more time-consuming to create).

I found the recipe for Mashed Potato Timbales (What is a timbale? Click here to find out!) and pinned it awhile back on my 'Recipes I Want to Make' board on Pinterest. Then I made it, and these turned out delicious :)

Note: See pics at the bottom and forgive their fuzziness. These were taken in the stage of our Florida time when I didn't have a working digital camera. Thanks, iPhone for taking some decent pics, but I'm SO happy that I have a new camera now! Look for newer, lighter, clearer pics soon!!

Here's the recipe I followed:



Yield: 12 Servings muffin-size (or 36 for minis)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 6 potatoes), peeled and cubed
8 ounces ricotta cheese (reduced fat)
8 ounces sour cream (reduced fat)
2 egg whites (I used 2 whole eggs)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp grated onion
2 tbsp dry breadcrumbs (I used Panko crumbs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed (I crushed it myself! Put some dried rosemary in a baggie, folded in a dish towel, and rolled a glass bottle over it! A rolling pin would work, too! This releases the flavor and breaks up the rosemary. Mmm)
1/4 tsp pepper (skipped)


How to Make 'Em:
Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes with butter and onion until small lumps of potato remain; set aside.

In a mixing bowl, beat ricotta cheese, sour cream, salt, garlic powder, rosemary and pepper until smooth. In a small bowl, beat eggsuntil frothy; fold into cheese mixture. Fold or beat into potato mixture.

Generously coat muffin cups with nonstick spray; evenly sprinkle muffin cups with bread crumbs. Fill with potato mixture; smooth tops.

Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 27-30 minutes or until edges of potatoes are lightly browned. Cool for 15 minutes. Loosen timbales from sides of muffin cups; invert onto a baking sheet to remove.







These are so delicious and made about 3 dozen, so I froze some for later and we've been enjoying them for a few weeks. Just ate the last one yesterday with some bean and grain soup. Yum!

I did find that the Panko crumbs didn't hang on as well as I would've liked, and that after they were frozen and unfrozen, then warmed up, they fell apart a little more easily. They were still so yummy and a fun way to enjoy potatoes, but I might modify this a bit next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment