Monday, April 2, 2012

Steel Cut Oats- The Breakfast of Champions!





I've been LOVING steel cut oatmeal and have it about 3-4 times a week. Thus, usually on a weekend, I'll pick a day when I can spend some time in the kitchen and make 4 servings at once. This makes mornings easier, plus I've been having so much fun in the kitchen on my cooking/baking days. This past weekend, I made baked sweet potatoes, peanut butter brownies from scratch, steel cut oats, soup, turkey bacon, and stir fry veggies. Already, this week is delicious.

Why steel cut oats? They're better for me, taste so good, leave me feeling content for a long time, and are delicious with some extra add-ins. Check out Bob's Red Mill steel cut oatmeal, the one I've been using lately. Note that this site is selling them for $10.88 a CASE (not a bag), and see the nutrition facts below. High in protein, a good source of carbs and iron, and low in fat and sugars.

So how does one make steel cut oats? Just follow the directions. They take a bit longer than rolled oats- these take between 10-20 minutes to simmer after the initial boil- and I usually add in some goodies like cinnamon, honey, nutmeg, mashed banana, flax seed powder, almond butter, greek yogurt, raisins, etc. toward the end (the last 5 minutes or so). I'll sometimes add some fresh fruit when I eat it or some blue agave syrup if desired. In any case, do what makes you happy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment