Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Flag Dessert- Happy 4th of July :)


I have a cookbook called Just For Kids which is lots of fun :) There's a great dessert recipe with pound cake, whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries in a flag design and I wanted to make it for the 4th. I loath Cool Whip, so I looked into some other whipped topping options and found that it's pretty easy to make yourself. So I did. And it's delicious. Here's the recipe:


Whipped topping: (from here)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
**Note: I got a quart of heavy whipping cream. It was barely enough and I could've possibly used a bit more.

For the cream, I just blended everything together until it forms stiff peaks (wait, it'll happen) then refrigerated it until I was ready to assemble my dessert.

For the dessert:
1 12 oz. pound cake (although I think I got a 16 oz. family size one, and it was fine)
2 pints fresh strawberries
2 cups fresh blueberries

For the dessert, cut the pound cake into 16 pieces. Spread 8 of them in the bottom of an 8x12 dish/pan, then cover with 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 cup of blueberries. Spread half of whipped topping, then 8 more pieces of cake, then the rest of the whipped topping and make your flag design with the remaining berries (slice those strawberries in half). Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Be creative, have fun, and enjoy- it's amazing :) Happy 4th of July!

1 comment: