Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Morning GLORIOUS Muffins!














Modified from Can You Stay for Dinner's Morning Glory Muffin recipe, these are amazing, sweet, healthy and were a blast to make!

Ingredients:
2¼ cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
2/3 cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (generously used this, I love cinnamon!)
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple (including juices)- I skipped this and used a cup of cinnamon applesauce instead.
1½ cups shredded carrots (2-3 medium)- I didn't use quite this much, but will happily add more next time.
½ cup raisins
½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
½ cup walnuts

AND...
about 5 sliced strawberries
1 diced nectarine
about 3 diced dried apricots
a few dried cranberries
...and I think that's it. But there might be more.

To Do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cups. (I made mini-muffins, and it made about 3 dozen).
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat together oil, eggs, and pineapple (including pineapple can juices/applesauce). Stir egg mixture into the flour mixture, just until combined.
Stir in the carrot, raisins, coconut, and walnuts (and other ingredients). Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. (About 15 minutes for minis)
makes 12 (or 36)

Review: I could eat these all day long, and on the first day I made them, I honestly had 6 (like having 2 regular-sized muffins, and with the chunks of fruit and bits of walnut, I didn't feel guilty about it at all). I have since limited myself to 1-2 per day, so that they'll last longer, but I am (and everyone else who has tried one is) loving them! When they run out, I'll be making a batch of banana chocolate chip muffins using the same recipe. The only issue was that the paper's a little tough to remove, any ideas for making this easier? Cooking spray inside the muffin papers? In any case, these are winners in my book and I was SO excited to share them that I came back and posted lots of new recipes, of course saving the best for last :) Yum, yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment