Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mushroom and Kasha Soup

This was a perfect meal for my unwelcome snow day. I wanted something warm, wholesome, and savory, without a lot of work. Also, this is a great low-cost seasonal option. The time can be cut down even further by buying pre-sliced mushrooms, but I like a lot of mushroom in every bite, so I cut them extra thin.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
8 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup kasha

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in onions once the oil is warmed. Allow onions to soften (~4-5 mins).
2. Stir in mushrooms and garlic and let soften (~4-5 mins).
3. Add kasha and bay leaf, stir, and pour in water. Up the heat until the soup boils and then drop to a simmer. Let simmer for ~20 mins (until the kasha softens).
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I garnished with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some finely chopped rosemary and it was amazing. Thyme is also a recommended topping. Next time I think I'll probably add some sherry with the mushrooms since I love that flavor combo. Some kasha substitution ideas: quinoa, barley or brown rice.

Here's a photo, after I started chowing down (I forgot to take it until I was halfway through!):

No comments:

Post a Comment