Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Saladstravaganza!

Most of the time, when I go to the usual meat-based mealtime restaurants and ask for something vegetarian, I'm pointed to the one item on the menu without meat - the iceberg lettuce salad. I've spent most of my life hating salad and excluding meat from my diet hasn't done much to change this. However, this year I'm challenging myself to really jump on the salad bandwagon. They're such a versatile way to incorporate a large helping of fruit and vegetables into any diet. The hard part is getting creative.

In an effort to motivate myself, I've been growing "salad bowls" on my back stoop complete with a red leaf lettuce, mescalin, and baby spinach mix. Tonight, I harvested and washed a bowl of greens and made the following Mediterranean-inspired salad:

Ingredients
3-4 cups loose greens
1/3 cup red seedless grapes
3 tbsp halved sun-dried tomatoes
2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
3 marinated artichoke hearts
a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar
a sprinkle of olive oil

Toss and chow down.

Due to the ease of assembly and the delicious results, I see many more salad-laden nights to come! I totally intend to dig in to these recipes next. What are your favorite salad creations?

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm just spent some time looking through some of those recipes from the link you sent. I love sushi and this one sounded interesting...

    21. Dice cucumbers (if they’re fat and old, peel and seed them first) and toss with cubes of avocado, a little mirin (or honey, but then it’s not vegan), rice vinegar and soy sauce. (You could mix in a little lump crab meat, really not vegan, even rice, and call it a California roll salad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... "You will do this forever" lol. Nothing like grilled cheese to make a salad unhealthy :)

    44. Make a crisp grilled cheese sandwich, with good bread and not too much good cheese. Let it cool, then cut into croutons. Put them on anything, but especially tomato and basil salad. This you will do forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I'm daydreaming of a new salad every day, great link Danielle!

    ReplyDelete