Monday, January 31, 2011

Red Lentil Soup with Greens

Taken from Moosewood Restaurant's Simple Suppers - I love this soup. It's a savory hearty winter soup packed full of flavorful nutrients but it doesn't leave you feeling uncomfortably stuffed. I recommend doubling it in order to use a whole can of coconut milk (an ingredient generally less often used).

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups red lentils
1 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon salt reserved
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I actually had leftover coconut oil from another recipe which I used this time and I thought it really added to the flavor, if you like coconut)
1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds (the recipe says optional, but I think it's a huge bonus)
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel or anise seeds (I don't really like licorice-flavored stuff, so I always leave this out)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I usually do 1/2 tsp and it's not overpowering)
1 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 tablespoons grated, peeled ginger root
1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
4 cups rinsed, drained, and chopped fresh mustard greens, Swiss chard, or spinach (I used baby spinach and didn't worry about chopping)
3/4 cup coconut milk

Directions
Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear and drain. In a soup pot, bring 5 cups of water, the lentils, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

While the lentils cook, warm the oil in a saucepan with a lid on medium heat, add the black mustard seeds, and cover until they pop (do this or expect a mess!!). Stir in the fennel (or anise), red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add the greens and the 1/2 teaspoon of reserved salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the greens are just wilted. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

When the lentils are soft, stir in the greens and coconut milk mixture and add salt to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment